Halo 4 & Borderlands 2
2012 Will see the rebirth of an existing franchise, and the continued rise of a relative newcomer. Will either of these be able to Dethrone the King of shooters, COD? Halo 4 and Borderlands 2 enter the fray and look to Frag COD Black Ops 2. While the gameplay dynamic and game setting of these contenders is much different than that of the Call of Duty games, at the end of the day, they are vying for the same core audience, and are intent on making converts of hardcore COD fans. Halo 4 and Borderlands 2 have their own immensely strong following, but COD’s dominance cannot, will not be denied, or will it. In this article we explore Halo 4 and Borderlands 2. In the process you may come to the realization that indeed, there will be a new lead dog in shooter genre. It’s too early to make any real predictions, but the stage has been set for a three way dogfight. Regardless of who takes the top spot, the one certain thing is that fans of the shooter genre will WIN.
If you’re wondering what the best Xbox 360 shooters are, then Halo 4 will have to be at the top of your list. The game is the first part of a second Halo trilogy, bringing back iconic characters with a new twist. The most important change will be in the game play, with surprises for those first-person shooter players that think they know what to expect from the Halo brand.
Halo 4 is the first installment in a new Halo trilogy called, “Reclaimer”. 343 Industries has taken over the development of the game from the original Halo developer, Bungie. As such, what you may know about the Halo franchise has been re-vamped. Halo 4 is set four years after the end of Halo 3 and makes an important shift in the plot: both the Master Chief and AI Cortana return. Cortana is also unpredictable and somewhat insane. The new setting for action is the new planet, “Requiem”.
While these details mark changes in the plot, the most fundamental change in Halo 4 is the shift from pure 1st person shooter to an emphasis on exploring Requiem and discovering items through clues. The great mysteries of the game, the origin and scope of conflict introduced in the first three installments, will unfold throughout the next three installments of the game. And Halo 4, along with the mysteries to be unlocked on Requiem, is just the beginning.
Now that you know a bit about what to expect with one of the best Xbox 360 shooters, you’ll probably anticipate Halo 4 in a whole new light. Complete with a new developer, the game is the beginning of a new start for the popular franchise. The most dramatic change is the game dynamic, with following clues and solving mysteries becoming central to playing the game. Now get out there and get ready to sharpen your brain along with your trigger finger.
Borderlands 2 is shaping up to be one of the best xbox 360 shooters of the season. Featuring innovative, squad based combat taken to the next level, it is sure to please almost anyone. Let’s take a look at a few of the commandos (and one villain!) who are going to be in the squad for one of the best xbox 360 games of the season. They are:
- Axton – The commando of the bunch. He is known for being polite and gentlemanly to his enemies, while blowing them to bits. Watch out when he deploys his Scorpion turrets, which automatically target nearby enemies and pack a huge punch!
- Zer0 – The ninja of the group, Zero specializes in stealth assassinations. No one knows much about him, or where he came from, save that he is incredibly deadly in close quarters. When pressed, he is able to deploy a holographic decoy that can take enemy attention away from him long enough to escape.
- Salvador – The big fat man who carries the big guns! Most definitely NOT a people person, Salvador is as likely to feed you the barrel of whatever insanely large gun he’s toting as he is to look at you. If you make him angry, he’s liable to whip out a second weapon, and then things really get crazy.
- Maya – Maya is the seductive siren of the group. Wielding charm as deadly as any blade, her tattoos most definitely are NOT just for show. Her special power is the ability to phase an enemy out of existence, trapping him in another dimension while her teammates pummel him into oblivion.
- Handsome Jack – The villain of the game, Handsome Jack is head of the evil Hyperion Corporation. He is dedicated more than anything to wiping out the evil bandits who are interfering with his company profits.
Borderlands 2 is already shaping up to be one of the best shooters we’ve seen in a long time. Who knows, it might even end up being one of the best xbox 360 games in general.
Medal of Honor Warfighter
We would be remiss if we failed to mention the sleeper, the dark horse of the race: Medal of Honor Warfighter. The odds are stacked against this veteran, but time will tell where it lands in the Shooter history books.